Two-time British Academy Award-winning composer Jason Graves is renowned for his textural concept scores and innovative orchestration in cinematic narrative games such as Tomb Raider, Far Cry Primal, Until Dawn, The Order: 1886 and Dead Space. His repertoire is truly diverse, from aleatoric and sweeping orchestral journeys in space, to haunting soundscapes in historical, gothic and supernatural worlds, to manipulating ancient instruments in a Stone Age natural environment.
Most recently Graves composed a “delectable score” (Push Square) for the charming and beautifully animated storybook adventure Moss, hailed as “VR’s finest game to date” (Eurogamer). The “magical soundtrack” (IGN) paints a “pastoral soundscape with enchanting Waltz-esque flair” (Polyarc), including the song “Home To Me,” featuring vocalist Malukah.
As a classically-trained composer and world percussionist, Jason created an entirely live, organic “phenomenal score” (Kotaku) for FAR CRY PRIMAL, blending a diverse array of sounds from the natural environment and incorporating many animal effects into the score. The evocative soundtrack includes a ram’s horn and solo flute, Aztec death whistles, female vocals, and ritualistic percussion, plus raw sounds from Far Cry’s Stone Age natural environment including bushes, bones, antlers, clay pots, logs, dirt and wooden artifacts.
Game Informer hailed Jason’s original score for SONY’S supernatural hit UNTIL DAWN as a “superb dynamic orchestral score” and GameSpot called it “a chilling soundtrack…which crescendos and subsides to highlight panic, terror, and anguish.” Jason recorded live orchestra at Ocean Way Studios in Nashville and combined it with many of his signature sounds – found percussion, experimental instruments and haunting soloists come together to form a unique and ever-changing adaptive score that is “part of what makes the game so memorable.” (Venture Beat)
Jason composed an experimental, non-orchestral score for 2k’s highly anticipated co-op shooter EVOLVE, enlisting his myriad of percussion instruments, guitar effects and found sound recordings to produce an atmospheric, edgy score that reflects team choice and gameplay states through music.
SONY called on Jason to score THE ORDER: 1886. To musically illustrate Victorian London, Jason spent six days at Abbey Road Studios recording unusual ensembles (low woodwinds and low strings only, no violins or brass). A low men’s chorus, solo string instruments and experimental percussion round out what Sony hails as a “one of the most signature sounds and emotionally gripping scores we’ve heard in a game.”
Crystal Dynamics entrusted Jason with their innovative reboot of the iconic TOMB RAIDER franchise, giving him creative freedom to infuse atmosphere, emotion and authenticity to Lara’s origins story through his score. The end result combines found sounds, authentic percussion and a truly unique custom instrument interwoven with orchestral themes and textures.
Jason was solely responsible for creating an innovative, unique soundtrack for the DEAD SPACE franchise, which has become Electronic Arts’ best-selling original title and called “the scariest game ever made.” Jason’s groundbreaking score has been hailed by critics as a “truly original soundtrack” and “the best score of the year.” It was recognized with a myriad of worldwide nominations and won two BAFTA awards – one for Original Score and one for Use of Audio. For the latter, the Academy stated, “It’s the music soundtrack that boasts horror and tension.”
Jason’s diverse musical background as a composer, drummer, keyboardist, guitarist and world percussionist allow him to expertly compose in many different genres of music. As a result, his game credits alone include more than one hundred titles, ranging from electronic and rock to full symphonic scores. He performs world percussion, drums and guitar on many of his own tracks and has conducted and recorded his live orchestral scores at Abbey Road Studios, Air Studios London, Capitol Records, FOX, Paramount Pictures and Skywalker Sound.
Jason also composes for film and television, including the 2015 feature films ADRENALINE and OPERATOR and the 2014 release UNKNOWN CALLER. His music has been licensed for television shows such as AMERICAN IDOL and THE AMAZING RACE.
Recently, Jason recorded an hour of all acoustic music for FAT CHICKEN (RELEVANT GAMES), including dobro, banjo, electric and acoustic guitars, percussion, bass and drums. He also contributed a haunting, atmospheric score for BREECH AND CLEAR: DEADLINE (MIGHTY RABBIT STUDIOS).
In addition to two BAFTA wins, Jason’s music has been honored with two BAFTA nominations for DEAD SPACE 2 and TOMB RAIDER, plus three Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Award (AIAS) nominations, winning “Outstanding Achievement in Audio” for DEAD SPACE. He has received twenty five G.A.N.G. nominations and four wins, including “Audio of the Year” for UNTIL DAWN, DEAD SPACE and DEAD SPACE 2, “Best Original Theme” nominations for THE ORDER: 1886, DEAD SPACE 2, STAR TREK: LEGACY and BLAZING ANGELS 2 and “Music of the Year” nominations for DEAD SPACE and KING ARTHUR. ‘
Jason Graves is represented by the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency.
- G.A.N.G: Best Music for an Indie Game Moss
- G.A.N.G: Best VR Audio Moss
- G.A.N.G: Music of the Year* Moss
- G.A.N.G: Best Original Instrumental* Moss ‘Legends Old and New’
- G.A.N.G: Best Original Song* Moss ‘Home to Me’
- G.A.N.G: Audio of the Year* Moss
- Annual Game Music Awards 2015: Outstanding Artist Western Composer Jason Graves
- NAVGTR: Original Dramatic Score (New IP)* The Order: 1886
- NAVGTR: Use of Sound (New IP)* Evolve, The Order: 1886, Until Dawn
- G.A.N.G: Best Original Instrumental* The Order: 1886 ‘A Knights Theme’
- G.A.N.G: Best Original Song: Choral* The Order: 1886 ‘Knighthood’
- G.A.N.G: Audio of the Year* Until Dawn
- G.A.N.G: Best Cinematic Cutscene Audio* The Order: 1886
- Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Best Score* The Order: 1886
- BAFTA: Use of Audio* Tomb Raider
- SXSW Gaming Awards: Excellence In Musical Score* Tomb Raider
- NAVGTR: Original Dramatic Score Tomb Raider
- Gold Spirit Awards: Best Original Score Tomb Raider
- IFMCA: Best Original Score* Resistance: Burning Skies
- British Academy Award: Use of Audio* Dead Space 2
- Game Developer’s Choice Awards: Best Audio* Dead Space 2
- BSO Spirit Awards: Best Original Score* Dead Space 2
- Square Enix Music: Outstanding Contribution by Composer Jason Graves (2011)
- Square Enix Music: Outstanding Contribution by Ensemble Lacrimosa; Quartet San Francisco
- Square Enix Music: Best Score* Dead Space 2
- Square Enix Music: Best Score* Might and Magic Heroes VI
- HMMA Original Score* Dead Space 2
- Square Enix Music: Outstanding Contribution by Composer* Jason Graves (2010)
- Square Enix Music: Best Theme Instrumental Alpha Protocol
- British Academy Award: Best Original Score Dead Space
- British Academy Award: Use of Audio Dead Space
- AIAS: Outstanding Achievement in Audio Dead Space
- AIAS: Outstanding Achievement in Music Composition* Dead Space
- Game Developer’s Choice Award: Audio Of The Year Dead Space
- BSO Spirit Award: Best Videogame Score* Dead Space
- AIAS: Outstanding Achievement in Music Composition* Rise of the Kasai